Saturday, June 12, 2010

14.) What's Happened So Far (Two)

It's been almost six months since my quest to solve the riddle of gravitation began and it's time to assess my progress. When I began last December I contemplated three possible outcomes:

Worst Case Scenario: Cracked-pot weir-do
Intermediate: I inspire and/or help others to reach the goal.
Desired: I postulate and prove a unified and complete theory of gravitation.

I am happy and proud to have already achieved an intermediate level outcome by setting up and using an old computer to assist in conducting scientific research.
  • Einstein@Home
As I type this, scientists at the Arecibo Observatory are using my old computer, (a Celeron clone that was just collecting dust), along with thousands of others "to search data collected by the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) and GEO 600 for gravitational waves." "About 39,000 active", (volunteer), "users contribute about 220 teraFLOPS of computational power, which ranks Einstein@Home among the top 20 on the TOP500 list of supercomputers.

The Einstein@Home project searches for continuous wave sources of gravitational radiation via an "all-sky search", including gravitational radiation from pulsars. The project may result in the first confirmed direct detection of a gravitational wave. A successful detection of gravitational waves would constitute a significant milestone in physics, as it would be the first detection of a previously unknown astronomical object by means of gravitational radiation alone." From Wikipedia, "Einstein@Home", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_at_home

To set it all up I installed the Ubuntu 10.04 operating system. Then I used the Ubuntu Software Center to install the BOINC Manager. When I started the BOINC Manager application it prompted me to select a project, so I selected Einstein@Home. The next thing I knew, my old computer was part of one of the twenty largest supercomputers in the world! I also set up remote desktop via VNC over SSL so that my little server can run "headless", (without a monitor, keyboard, etc. connected to it).

A little research lead me to take some basic security precautions. On my router I blocked FTP, TFTP, TELNET, SSH and some other protocols that I don't use. On my little server I set a password for VNC remote access. I installed GUFW, a GUI for Uncomplicated Firewall, and blocked incoming connections, (BOINC makes its own connections outgoing). I made exceptions so that I could still access the server through TCP Port 5900 (VNC) and 443 (SSL) from my local network.

All of the software is open source and available for free and I already had the old computer. The only cost is the electricity. I calculated that the 250 Watt power supply costs me between $ 15.00 and $ 30.00 a month to run 24/7. It seems like a small price to pay in order to help, (even in this small way), to solve the riddle of gravitation. I'm already thinking about upgrading or adding another server. HP offers some good deals on reconditioned servers.
  • Other Goals I Set
1.) Enlist my wife's support and assistance
She continues to be very positive and supportive. She proofreads the blog and recently helped me enhance and polish the design. Follow Up: Continue to solicit feedback and bring her along on outings

2.) Library access
Wednesday Library Nights never got off the ground. My wife and I are both too tired on weeknights and a weekly visit is more often than is necessary. Henry Madden Library is open from 1:00 to 5:00 PM on Sundays. We'll go to brunch and then to the library once or twice a month. Follow Up: Visit next Sunday.

3.) Develop a TV/Movie Schedule
A schedule may be confining, but it appears to be necessary. I will only watch TV on Friday nights and Sunday mornings. Follow Up: Stick to the schedule.

5.) Take notes that are accessible on-line.
I am using my blog and Google bookmarks, (you can create "Public" lists now). I am also creating and using flashcards in Quizlet. Follow Up: Continue to use these tools frequently and effectively.

6.) Community College, State College and on-line classes.
I have made significant progress. The University of California's UCCP Open Access site, (see the shortcut in my "Useful Links"), offers free on-line high school courses, (including AP courses), in the areas that I need them. The course outlines numerically indicate which objectives in the California State Curriculum are being addressed. I can use that information to access related video resources in Cosmeo. My self-study course is in place. Follow Up: Complete all related UCCP Open Access courses. Read all the related For Dummies books. Then pursue the course of study outlined in my earlier blog entry, "A Degree in Gravity".

7.) Scheduled exercise to keep the energy level up.
My recent foot surgery hurt this program in the short term, but I believe it will help it in the long run.
Mondays:
Gym for Stretching, Heavy Weight Lifting and Martial Arts
Thursdays:
Stretching, Pilates, Calesthenics, Light Weight Lifting
Saturdays:
Swimming and Tanning
Mon through Fri - Ride bus to work, walk to and from bus stops. Follow Up: Monitor weekly

8.) Find out if there is a local astronomy club.
The Downing Planetareum at CSU Fresno has weekly shows that are open to the public. They also offer free "star gazing" on Friday nights. I am sure they can direct us to a local club, if necessary. The Chabot Space and Science Center in Oakland has weekly shows called "Dinner, a Movie and the Universe" as well. Follow Up: Plan an outing.

10.) Obtain and use an "always on" Internet access device.
Strides have been made with the I-Pad and new Droid. In my area a laptop tethered to a Blackberry through T-Mobile seems to currently be the best and most cost effective option. Follow Up: Continue to research options.

11.) Ergonomics
I've purchased portable reading lights. One attaches to my ear and the other clips onto a book. I need a way to comfortably and easily access the Internet while lying down with my foot elevated. This is especially important in the evening. Follow Up: Continue to research options.

My next blog entry: "Discouragement".

No comments:

Post a Comment